In this 90-minute seminar Professor Karen Kelsky walk you through the conditions of the current American job market, the most common mistakes made by job-seekers, and the ways you can maximize your chances of success while looking for a tenure-track job.
- The big-picture conditions of the U.S. tenure track job market
- How to think like a search committee
- The four core qualities of a successful tenure track job candidate
- The all-important 5-Year Plan
- The ethos of job market documents
- The most common mistakes made by job seekers
- The three keys to academic interviewing
- The non-academic option
We also examine the pervasive intangible pitfalls that can bedevil job documents and interviewing, including narcissism, excessive humility, and hyper-emotionalism. You’ll leave with a broad understanding of the real (as opposed to fantasy) criteria of tenure track hiring, and how to tailor your record and application materials to maximize your chances of success. Finally, I will also touch on the current political situation and outlooks for US academia.
Please note: This event is a joint venture between QMUL and other London universities, including UCL, King’s College London, the London School of Economics and City University. So it’s also an opportunity to meet fellow PhD students from other institutions.
Register for your place at: www.cpdbookings.qmul.ac.uk and search for RC005: Hacking the US academic job market